Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blue-Red glasses

I bought blue-red glasses a couple of years ago (not the cardboard type) to use with things on the net that were in 3-D. This morning after watching Astronomy Picture of the day(by the way what happened to our link from CC?), I noticed that after taking the glasses off and covering one eye --right eye / blue lens that the picture was bluer and then covering left eye/ red lens the picture was more yellow. At first I thought old man cataracts, etc. but in just a minute this color change disappeared. I'm sure there is an explanation that involves cones and transient imaging or something, but I thought it was interesting. Try it!

Labels:

posted by joe @ 2/13/2011 04:55:00 AM   7 comments

7 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Clay said...

Its kind of like this American flag illusion. Check out some of the others on this page, a couple of them are really cool. So do you always start your day with the 3-D glasses or was this just a special event for the astronomy pic of the day?

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger joe said...

Not every day just special things in 3-D.
Where is Astronomy Today on our blog and Dictionary

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Clay said...

I am not sure why it went away or if I did it intentionally, but I put it back.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger joe said...

well, it ain't there, but the oooold movies and books are. I miss stars and words.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Clay said...

Look now down at the very bottom of the sidebar.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger joe said...

ok thanks but need dictionary also

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Randy said...

I have encountered this phenomenon in my day job as a physicist mapping other planets in 3D for NASA...it's the same color fatigue phenomenon that leads to a complimentary color afterimage as in the flag illusion.
Interestingly (I hope) I first encountered the same effect as a kid, napping in my parents' car on road trips. Sunlight shining through the eyelid on one side resulted in everything looking blue through that eye once I opened my eyes. Makes me wonder if you could view red-blue anaglyphs without glasses by "preparing" the eyes with bright blue and red light...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclaimer: This blog is for entertainment purposes. If you are a doctor, practice at your own risk.