Saturday, February 06, 2010

Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell

I just finished the book Beat the Reaperby Josh Bazell. Apparently he is a physician and this is his debut novel. I think I downloaded it based on a recommendation from audible.com. The book is relatively short, just over six hours, but it packs a punch. To avoid spoiling the book, I won't tell too much of the story. The protagonist is a medical resident in an internal medicine program in a New York hospital, who got there as a result of his placement in the federal witness protection program due to his involvement with the mob in his earlier life. It is exciting, entertaining and especially poignant for someone who has gone through a medical residency. Even though my training program was not that similar to the hitman doctor's, so much of his experience still rings true. My only minor complaint is that many of the events are way over the top in terms of believability, but I expected that after reading the reviews on Audible. Its kind of like a mix between The Godfather, Rambo and House M.D. There is also a good deal of vulgarity (not a complaint, just a heads up).

Labels: , , ,

posted by Clay @ 2/06/2010 08:26:00 AM   5 comments

5 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Blogger joe said...

Glad you liked TZW, I agree she started off very flowery but she is a poet. The middle to last part was the best. I was listening for some time until I figured out that this was a true story.

Thanks for the suggestion for a new book, I have it downloaded and will probably listen to it next. I need something light after listening to Italian Shoes--will discuss this book later.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger joe said...

started BTR and enjoying its dark humor.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger joe said...

about through with BTR got any other suggestions?

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Clay said...

I just finished Under the Dome by Stephen King. I was going to elaborate on my recomendation in a post but no time yet. Anyway very good, quite long, great character development.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger joe said...

looks long, I've read some King and he is great, but I don't get too excited about his books.

I have downloaded War and Peace--56 hrs --have never read it and feel like I should, will try.

about to finish M's book on running --getting to know him better--see some parallels between M and someone I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclaimer: This blog is for entertainment purposes. If you are a doctor, practice at your own risk.