Thursday, September 06, 2012

A Large Brown Recluse

Most of the times I am able to get a picture of a brown recluse (Loxosceles reclusa), the subject is already pretty smashed up.  I found this one on a bag in my garage and pulled it out on the driveway where I knew it could not escape so I could get pictures.  I have been seeing more of  these here recently.  This one was rather large for a brown recluse.  Of course the characteristic marking on the dorsum of its cephalothorax which resembles a violin is the best known identifying feature.

Here is a good article on the bite of a brown recluse spider from Wikipedia.  It mentions that an estimated 80% of reported brown recluse spider bites are misdiagnosed and it gives a nice list of infectious and noninfectious conditions that have previously been misdiagnosed as brown recluse bites.  I do find this portion lacking in that it does not mention specifically the classic case of an attack from 'The Methicorn'.

posted by Clay @ 9/06/2012 06:03:00 AM   1 comments

1 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger joe said...

Great pics, remember the methicorn still wanders the ridge!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclaimer: This blog is for entertainment purposes. If you are a doctor, practice at your own risk.