Monday, December 12, 2011

The Sartorius Muscle

The other night I awakened with severe muscle pain(cramp) in my leg. As usual I got up to stretch by walking around. This time no improvement. It hurt so bad I thought I was going to vomit. The next morning I decided it was my sartorius. Located in the medial thigh, the Taylor's muscle responds to sitting cross legged or putting your foot on your opposite knee and pressing the knee toward the floor. This is the longest muscle of the body and crosses 2 joints(hip and knee). Hope you never have a sartorius spasm but if you do now you know how to treat it.

posted by joe @ 12/12/2011 08:26:00 PM   4 comments


At 9:32 AM, Blogger joe said...

I realize a muscle spasm in the sartorius muscle is rare. I asked my friendly orthopedist about it, and he was doubtful that I had really had a spasm in this "small" muscle. I reviewed my activity that might have caused the spasm. When I got to recently restarting swimming, he asked are, "you doing the breast stroke". When I affirmed, he said the frog kick is what caused the spasm. I agree and have tried to localize the muscle action when "frog-kicking".

At 12:13 PM, Blogger joe said...

An update on this unusual muscle solution was taken from another physician who felt like the tailor position would give the stretch needed to relieve the spasm......not so.
After months of this tricky muscle spasm tailor position makes it worse.... internal rotation( turn knee in toward the other knee) works. You can do this lying in bed( where lots of muscle spasms originate), sitting, or standing. This is based on my ongoing unfortunate Sartorius spasm.

At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your pain. I had one of those lovely cramps and it went on for 5 awful minutes. it IS the WORST! I got a homedics deep muscle massager from bed bath& beyond and keep it plugged in by the bed.Should I have a cramp again I jump up and massage it.SOmetimes I find if I bend over it starts cramping at the top of the leg. I will try your solution should I get another one.But I sure hope that never happens.

At 8:04 AM, Blogger Honey Badger said...

too much cycling. flexing hip and walking makes it worse. 11 days ago muscle spasm so bad. couldn't stretch it. bruised inner thigh it was so bad. i couldnt figure out how to stretch it. not healing well. any flexion of hip causes a burning sensation. sartorius and adductors all sore.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclaimer: This blog is for entertainment purposes. If you are a doctor, practice at your own risk.