Saturday, June 19, 2010

Interesting building from La Citadelle de Quebec

The Citadelle de Quebec is a military base on the highest point of Quebec. French, English and now Canadian forces have occupied this land. The building is on the grounds of the fort.

This building has no direct military use. I ask you to tell me what use it has from the design and clues:
1. a book we both read about a year ago
2. the book was about an English man.
3. the St. Lawrence River is in view of this building.
4. the metal "ball" is a key

Labels: ,

posted by joe @ 6/19/2010 09:42:00 AM   4 comments

4 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger joe said...

Please name the book and the English man.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Clay said...

Well I know you are talking about the Longitude problem and the book about John Harrison called Longitude. I don't know specifically what to call the structure though besides maybe an observatory. I see a weather vane. Maybe the ball is giant astrolabe or sundial or something. surprisingly I didn't get much further when I gave in and hit the webs for information, but it helped a little.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Clay said...

What ever the case, I am impressed by your vigilance with the subject and your photography. Thanks for legitimizing my cacoethes interneticum.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger joe said...

I never knew that precise time was the key to location on the seas until I read Longitude. That is now changed with GPS available everywhere assuming we aren't having solar flares.
The ball in the observatory(correct) would go up and down with the hour of the day and the ships on the St. Lawrence could see it and set the sand clocks aboard. Preceding John Harrison by many years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclaimer: This blog is for entertainment purposes. If you are a doctor, practice at your own risk.