Saturday, June 17, 2006

Another Ingestion by a One Year Old

This is an xray of a 1 year old girl who accidentally swallowed a metal pin from part of a door. It was taken within 2-3 hours of the ingestion. The pin is about 3 cm. The child was sent home and told to follow up with her PCP the next day.

The following day, the child was still well and the xray below was taken. It is not as good because it is a picture of the xray, but you can see the pin has moved on down to somewhere around the proximal colon. The child was again sent home with follow up planned for the next day.

The child had 2 bowel movements before the visit on the following day. No pin was found but the parents didn't inspect the feces very carefully. The xray on the third day showed that the pin had been properly expelled and the child had no complications.

posted by Clay @ 6/17/2006 07:41:00 AM   1 comments


At 10:50 AM, Blogger joe said...

What is it with these 1 year old GIRLS eating coffee and swallowing metal door parts? This is a BOY problem! Maybe they haven't discovered chocolate.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclaimer: This blog is for entertainment purposes. If you are a doctor, practice at your own risk.