Saturday, February 05, 2005

Intermittent paralysis

I would like to share a recent pt. encounter with this audience. Recently, on call, I was asked to admit a 40y/o pt with L side paralysis. Upon entering room, pt appeared to be in no distress. I began asking pt why she was in the hospital and she told me she just didn't feel well and did not mention any specific symptoms. Pt was using hand gestures as she spoke. I then told pt I was reading in her chart that she had some L side paralysis. She then immediately dropped her L arm and said "oh yeah". I then proceeded with my examination not out of necessity, but purely for entertainment purposes. I used the old trick of holding arm above face and letting it go. A good malingerer will make it slightly miss their face. I let this pt's arm go and she just left it in the air. I responded with "you're cured", she then dropped her arm and said no she wasn't. I later was told by the nurse that she used her paralyzed arm to push her away when giving lovenox. This pt clearly needed the 5000 dollar stroke work up she received.
p.s.
flash's scrotom man is back, don't get jealous flash, but sd was inspecting your post op scrotom man last night. we had to consult urology to r/o charred testicle

posted by brad @ 2/05/2005 08:10:00 AM   3 comments

3 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Clay said...

I'm sure that was fun for you but aren't you just a little disappointed that she didn't do a little better job so that when she complained of numbness you could jab her with a needle and watch her jump.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Shane said...

Nice blog. However, I would limit abbreviations. These are blogs which are published diatribes. They're not text messages or email. Please remember that and try to make them look professional.

Sincerely,

Your eternal chief resident, Shane

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger brad said...

Sorry, what was I thinking, I will clarify

pt.=patient
L side paralysis= left side paralysis
post op= post operative
r/0= rule out
KMAS= kiss my ass shane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclaimer: This blog is for entertainment purposes. If you are a doctor, practice at your own risk.